How Play Dates Are Like Dating!

July 24, 2019
Awkward Selfie 😆

Here I am taking a selfie (originally for myself) to make sure I’m presentable for Luke’s play date. The night before was spent staying up late cleaning, making sure the fridge is stocked and deciding what games/toys should be pulled out. I spent the night wondering will the couple like us? What if the mom and I have nothing in common and there’s awkward silence. What if the dads don’t mesh? It honestly feels like dating. Like my husband and I are going on blind dates with other couples who have kids. What do we wear? What if the kids play great but the parents don’t like us? 😆 Has anyone else experienced this or am I going crazy? Why does setting up play dates feel so much like dating? I obviously wouldn’t go full on date night make up, but a little something to hide my sleepless mom dark circles and stress 😅. I decided to go for a more natural look, in hopes to appear like I did not just spend the last 24 hours planning this exact moment. Personally it feels just as stressful as dating, but it’s just another part of motherhood. What we do for our littles.

~ Ashley.

12 responses to “How Play Dates Are Like Dating!”

1. Shannan says:

So true… sometimes getting ready for something that should be so simple turns into a huge ordeal…you’re not alone in that 😍😍

2. Dris says:

Ha ha OMG it totally does and I do them often 🤣🤣🤣 I run the same Qs through my head. I think the best thing is to keep doing them. Ive met some wonderful people and some that didnt click but im glad I keep doing it🙏🙏🙏

3. I am so on your page! Seriously thats why we haven’t set any up 😩 Well that and the fact we just moved so I’m sure once school and cheer start I will be in your shoes! Even the thought of it makes me sweat….

4. Jennifer says:

Oh my gosh, this is so true! You’ve worded it perfectly, and I have felt this way in the past when setting up play dates!

5. Lucy says:

Ha Ha Yes, this is so true!! It’s particularly harder because I’m such an introvert.

6. Allison says:

Haha this is all soooo true. It’s nerve wracking

7. Jane says:

Ha! This is so true! Play dates are more for us moms than the kids lol.

8. Ashley V says:

I have not had to do this yet. Most of our play dates are at birthday parties since they see each other at daycare all day everyday. But I have a feeling this will be soon!

9. Corinne says:

Omg yes yes yes!!! This can not be more true!!!

10. Nicki O says:

This is so funny, I never thought of it that way but it’s so true!!

11. Probably one of the reasons why I don’t do them 🙈

12. Suzene says:

Omg!!!! I always have play date jitters! And I definitely try “harder” to look more presentable!
    For example; I brush my hair! 🤣 and I make sure to put on real clothes instead of my Pajamas!
    Love the reality of this blog post!
    ox.ox. Zen 💕